U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary Celebrates 77 Years of Volunteer Service
In 1939, Congress established the U.S. Coast Guard Reserve administered by the Commandant of the U.S. Coast Guard and composed of unpaid, volunteer U.S. citizens who owned motorboats and yachts. Congress created a military Reserve in 1941 and renamed the original volunteer Reserve as the Coast Guard Auxiliary.
The primary purpose of the establishment of the Coast Guard Auxiliary was to indoctrinate all owners and operators of small craft in safety requirements in the operation and navigation of small craft. The secondary purpose was to utilize the Auxiliary craft and personnel, after suitable training and indoctrination in carrying out certain duties of the Coast Guard with particular inference to those concerned with the safety of navigation.
Today Auxiliary volunteers continue to donate their personal time and resources in support of that original vision in providing Recreational Boating Safety education and services as well as other support to the U.S. Coast Guard.
The Coast Guard Auxiliary Association, Inc., established to support the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary, takes great pride in recognizing their outstanding volunteer service for 77 years in promoting recreational boating safety education, performing vessel safety checks and assisting boaters and the Coast Guard. They continue to live by their motto “Proud Tradition – Worthy Mission” and the Coast Guard’s “Semper Paratus – Always Ready”. – Gene M. Seibert, President/CEO, CGAuxA