Written by Coast Guard Auxiliarists Kevin Conquest and Rich Mihalcik
Today the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary celebrates 78 years of continuous volunteer service on America’s waterways.
On June 23, 1939, the Coast Guard “Reserve” was born from an act of Congress authorizing civilians to work for the Coast Guard promoting boating safety, both on the high seas and inland waters. Congress then amended its decision further with the passage of the Auxiliary and Reserve Act of 1941. It was at that point the Reserve became an official military branch while the Auxiliary, as we
know it today, was ratified under Title 14, chapter 23 of the United States Code.
For more, click here